7.15.2008

Making Progress

Last Sunday I raced the Longmont Criterium which also happened to be the designated state championship criterium and it went very well. I took an aggressive approach for the first 20 minutes getting in breaks and chasing breaks until I realized we raced 90 minutes and not the Cat. 3 60 minutes. I decided it was best to conserve energy since I felt comfortable moving up in the pack. With 5 laps to go I made the decision to move to the front of the pack and be aggressive again. With 2 laps to go I found myself in a 3 man break but we got caught with half a lap to go and another attack went which I was able to bridge but then couldn't hold the pace. I found myself back in the group coming out of the last turn in maybe 7th place. I had no sprint because my legs were done and ended up 15th out of 75+ guys. I know 15th isn't really that great but I think so because this is actually my first result as a Cat. 2 racer.

Tonight I took part in the CSP Criterium series held every Tuesday night in Golden. I ended up taking 3rd in this Pro 1/2/3 race with the help of my good buddy Ian MacGregor who races professionally for the Team Type 1. Ian guided me through the pack the last 5 laps and dropped me off on Colby Pearce's wheel, U.S. Olympian, because he was the guy to beat. Ian told me not to lose his wheel and I was able to match his attack yet I was too focused just on him that two guys got by us in the closing meters. This result has given me a huge confidence booster as I look forward to August. But before I get that far I'm really looking forward to some down time in Hawaii.

No comments: