5.02.2013

Ups and Downs

After my 18.4 mile trail run everything came crashing down and looking back on everything I'm not that surprised anymore.  It turns out I had done a pretty good block of training the month of April both with cycling and running.  I managed to only take 4 days off from training in April and many of the days I did a double session workout.  As the month went I on I continued to push both mileage and effort during my runs.  I guess my body decided to call it quits and present me with some overtraining symptoms such as a slight running injury and illness I'm just now starting to get over.  As a competitive athlete you train yourself to suffer through pain so overtraining symptoms can sometimes be overlooked.  A lot of factors (heel injury, spring snowstorm, lots of work, horrible cough) just all added up to tell me to shut it down for a few days.  I have that newbie mentality right now like I'm losing so much fitness these last few days doing nothing but I know deep down inside that my body needs this rest and that this is only going to make me stronger.  That said,  I look forward to feeling better tomorrow and training hard in May.

No comments: