3.01.2009

First one is in the bag

It wasn't pretty but I'll take it. Last time I raced the oval crit was many years ago with the CU cycling team and not only did I DNF but I also broke my hand. So I had some unfinished business yesterday. My heart shot up to near max watching the cat. 3s finish were we saw half a dozen riders go down right in front of me. It's not a pretty sound to hear metal grinding against pavement. Our pro race was stacked by some big local powerhouses based in Ft. Collins so I knew it was going to be fast. And sure enough moments after the start the attacks came fast and furious. There was really only one point in the race I felt a bit in trouble and on the verge of getting dropped. We dropped many guys throughout the race although not surprising given how technical the race was and the pace for the first race of the season. My teammates who are fitter right now played a more active role in the race and I was content with just finishing and testing the legs at the end. With 5 laps to go I moved to the front with my teammates and unfortunately broke a spoke with one lap to go. I could not help my teammates contest the sprint and had to settle for just finishing. Perfectly fine with me because there are bigger fish to fry in a few months time. I'm stoked to work on my weaknesses and get fitter. No complaints from the 9-5er, life is good.
Sent from my Atari 64

No comments: