4.08.2008

2 Races in 1 Day....




yup that's what I did and boy did it hurt. I raced Koppenberg in the morning and right afterwards drove down to Golden, CO to race the Colorado School of Mines criterium. The Koppenberg was most important to me due to the BAT competition but unfortunately my day came to a halt as I avoided a nasty high speed crash that took out about 10 guys. Luckily I did not go down but I did come to a skidding halt in my biggest gear. As I got back up to speed I could only watch as the guys in front of the crash rode away not losing any speed at all. My teammate Ian made the lead group and finished a strong 13th place. After getting stuck with a mixed group of guys who didn't want to race hard and guys who just talked way too much I ended up dropping all 7 or 8 guys to take 24th place. A bummer for my team because they only score the top 20 guys for BAT points. Legs felt good and the climb wasn't difficult but again I wasn't in the lead group so who knows how hard those guys were throwing down but I wish I did, maybe next time.


The afternoon in crit. was probably one of the hardest, fastest and most technical crit. courses in all of Colorado. That said it was tough from the beginning.  I  pre-rode the course and man was I in for it. I was the only guy who came from the other race so these guys with fresh legs I knew were going to make it hurt that much more. I love racing and to me it's the best way to really get in shape so I had a lot of fun even though I got lapped and was pulled after 45 minutes of suffering. This is all setting me up for Deer Trail April 26th, that's the really big race in my head so just need to keep chugging away.


Huge props go to my brother Michael and my sister-n-law Lacey who came to both races and cheered me on with every grueling minute. Michael will be racing soon and is training hard for Deer Trail so I think watching me race motivates him. We had huge Cheeseburgers at Capital Grill in downtown Golden to cap off a great day of racing. I came home with all my skin so I guess that's kind of a win? More to come...

1 comment:

Katie Long said...

bummer about the crash...
By the way, i can't believe payday made it into your top five candy bars. Butterfinger kicks payday's butt. but what do you know about eating junkfood?