4.20.2008

Expect The Unexpected

Every guy goes into a race thinking they can win and I'm no different. The reality of bike racing is you rarely win and your often on the losing side but yesterday was one of those rare moments. Coming off a good week of training and still bummed about my bad judgement last weekend I wanted this win really bad. I knew after just a few laps, winning a 6-pack of beer prime and covering a few breaks that my legs were good and this time I counted down the last 5 laps to go correctly. There is a short and steep hill followed by a 90 degree left turn and another 75m to the finish. I knew going into the last lap that I would make my move to the right-side of the hill and just gun it and see who follows. I managed to break everyone but just a few guys into the turn and from that point I made a split second decision to lead out the sprint and it turns out I was able to gap the 2nd place finisher by two bike lengths. I'm pretty sure everyone in Colorado Spring heard me cross the finish line. It was an amazing win and even more special with my sister and her family there to watch it happen. The last time I won I had my nephews there watching and this time Makenna my niece watching so I guess they're my lucky charms. After a horrible 2007 season I came into this season with the mindset of have fun and have more fun. As weird as it may sound my motivation has been external and I simply just don't do this for me. I've tried that and it just doesn't work for me, I get way too serious and stressed out and those are things I deal with on a daily basis with work and life. Cycling and racing to me is now about just having fun. I ride hard when I want to ride hard, I ride easy when I want to ride easy, I don't do intervals and I eat Wendy's every Monday night. It seems to work and life is good so I guess I'll stick with it for now. Checkout some pics from my race.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Again, great pictures!