4.13.2008

An Interesting Weekend of Racing

Saturday was the Haystack TTT and I sucked! I'm not really sure what happened but I just could not get on top of my big gears to help my teammates out who were crushing it and dragging me along for the ride. I finally had to throw in the towel about a mile from the finish for the sake of my team. We ended up 8th which is not good.

After having such a difficult time yesterday I was eager to race today. I was a bit nervous before the start not knowing how my legs would respond yet excited to throw down with a couple teammates. The field was stacked with well over 70 racers and for the most part it was a steady hard pace with many failed attacks. My legs came around about 15 minutes into this 60 minute race so I had a couple digs and managed to bridge to a couple breakaways with relative ease. I decided to wait for the last lap to make my move since my legs felt great but a lack of concentration kind of spoiled my chances. I somehow thought we had two laps to go but then I heard the bell lap which is the final lap of the race and before I know it I'm freaking out because I'm about 40 guys back. So I drill it and snake through the group as I'm kicking myself in the head only to come into the final turn in maybe 10th place. I wind up for the sprint to find myself boxed in and coasting behind some guy who just gave up 100m from the finish?? In about 0.0005 seconds I decide to go right and squeeze through the smallest of smallest gaps, punch a couple hard pedal strokes and lunge for the line. So am I happy with 6th? Not really because this race was mine, I had the same feelings I had at the DU crit. but I just didn't execute to the line this time. Well at least I have accumulated a few more upgrade points towards my goal of racing with the big boys (Pros) and most importantly I have all my skin. Not a bad weekend but a lot of work in the next couple of weeks to get ready for Deer Trail road race. Some pics from the Crit.

Me Rockin' On!


Me Drafting


Me Attacking!

No comments: